The Middle East Forum (MEF), a Philadelphia-based research and activist organization, seeks to hire a full-time General Editor and Media Specialist.
This is a full-time, salaried position.
The General Editor works with Forum staff to produce clear, elegant, and timely writing, both substantive and administrative.
- Article guidance – Fact check, line edit, proof, and place staff and fellow writings.
- Systematize – Maintain publication schedules and editorial calendar.
- Article evaluation – Recommend which staff and fellow writings to post, distribute, and promote.
- Maintain the Spotlight – The MEFO homepage which features MEF's writings on a topic of current interest needs to be changed every three weeks or as needed.
- Overall responsibility – Keep MEFO fresh, interesting, and up to date, developing new features and phasing out old ones.
- Summaries – Summarize podcasts, television appearances, conference calls and events; generate top-ten lists; write issue overviews.
- Reports on MEF accomplishments – Prepare reports for individual donors and for foundations.
- Solicitations – Draft letters and proposals for funding.
- Creating marketing materials – Write project backgrounders.
- Oversee MEF communications – Write press releases and job announcements.
- Familiarity with the Middle East and Islam.
- Agreement with MEF's outlook (see http://www.meforum.org).
- At least five years' work experience as a writer or editor.
- Hands-on experience with MS Office, InDesign, Photoshop and/or other publishing tools. Familiarity with content management systems.
- Ability to take initiative, multitask, prioritize work schedules, work with a team, pay attention to detail, and meet tight deadlines.
The successful candidate will work in the Philadelphia office of the Middle East Forum.
- Non-profit competitive
- Group medical health, vision, and dental
- Group life, short term, and long-term disability insurance
- 403(b) retirement plan
- Commuter benefit plan
Prepare an application that includes:
- A cover letter indicating your interests, qualifications, and goals.
- A résumé or curriculum vitae.
- Short and long writing samples.
- A 300-word review of the recent Aquarius incident.
When the application is completed:
- Bundle the entire application as a single document, preferably in Adobe Acrobat (Word is also acceptable).
- Title it with your name in reverse order, without spacing, as in "ChurchillWinston".
- Submit the application to Thelma Prosser, at Prosser@MEForum.org by July 13, 2018 at 5 p.m. EST.
About the Middle East Forum:
The Middle East Forum, an activist think tank founded in 1994 by Daniel Pipes, promotes American interests in the Middle East and protects Western values from Middle Eastern threats. It does so in three ways:
- Intellectual, by providing information, context, and policy advice through publications, media appearances, lectures, and private consultations.
- Operational, by getting things done in Washington, on campus, in courts of law, and beyond.
- Philanthropic, by distributing about $2 million annually in separately earmarked funds to about 75 groups and individuals working to promote our goals.