A Moroccan man who served as a "stand-in imam" in a mosque in northern Italy was forcibly repatriated home because he refused to accept Italian constitutional rights such as gender parity, Interior Minister Angelino Alfano said Thursday.
Following the Charlie Hebdo Islamist attacks in Paris in January 2015, Italy adopted legislation making it easier for police to arrest or expel suspected terrorists. Since then, 115 have been sent home, including 12 imams, Alfano said in a statement.
The latest case concerns a 33-year-old who acted as secretary of the Muslim Community of Treviso, an industrial town in north-east Italy about 40 kilometres north of Venice. He was put on a plane to Casablanca late on Wednesday, the minister said.