The Middle East Forum (MEF), a Philadelphia-based research and activist organization, is hiring a full-time, salaried General Editor.
- Oversee the intellectual content of the Forum (other than the Middle East Quarterly and Focus on Western Islamism, which have their own editors).
- Guide the publication review process, both substantive and administrative.
- Work with staff and fellows to produce clear, elegant, and timely writing about the Middle East and Islamism that provide new, original, and important contributions to knowledge.
- In conjunction with the President and Director, recruit staff, fellows, contributors, and other writers.
- Write articles for publication.
- Conceptualize, proof, and fact check, staff and fellow writings.
- Place those writings in publications.
- Maintain publication schedules and editorial calendar.
- Keep MEForum.org lively, interesting, and up to date, developing new features as suited.
- Recommend which staff and fellow writings to post, distribute, and promote.
- Maintain the Spotlight, a feature on the MEForum.org homepage that features staff and fellow writings on a topic in the news, changing it every few weeks or as needed.
- Summarize webinars, television appearances, and events; generate top-ten lists; write issue overviews.
- Create marketing materials.
- Write press releases and job announcements.
- Find ways to advertise MEF's work.
- Brief the Forum's executive committee about publications.
- Prepare letters, reports, and proposals to solicit donations from individual donors and foundations.
Agreement with MEF's outlook (see http://www.meforum.org for details).
- A deep familiarity with the Middle East and Islam.
- A master's degree in Middle East or Islamic studies; doctoral degree preferred.
- Research with a resulting publication.
- At least eight years' professional work experience.
- Hands-on experience with the relevant computer programs.
- Written and verbal skills.
- Willingness to take initiative.
- Ability to multitask, prioritize work schedules, be a team player, pay attention to detail, and meet deadlines.
- Partially at MEF's Philadelphia office, partially remote.
- Non-profit competitive.
- Group medical health, vision, and dental.
- Group life, short term, and long-term disability insurance.
- 403(b) retirement plan.
- Commuter benefit plan.
Prepare an application that includes:
- A cover letter indicating your interests, qualifications, and goals.
- A résumé or curriculum vitae.
- Short and long writing samples (one each).
When the application is completed:
- Bundle the entire application as a single document, preferably in Adobe Acrobat (Word is also acceptable).
- Title it with your name in reverse order, without spacing, as in "ChurchillWinston."
- Submit the application to Thelma Prosser, at Prosser@MEForum.org by Friday, April 1, 2022 at 5 p.m. EDT.
About the Middle East Forum:
The Middle East Forum, an activist think tank founded in 1994 by Daniel Pipes, promotes American interests in the Middle East and protects Western values from Middle Eastern threats. It does so in three ways:
- Intellectual, by providing information, context, and policy advice through publications, media appearances, lectures, and private consultations.
- Operational, by getting things done in Washington, on campus, in courts of law, and beyond.
- Philanthropic, by distributing about $2 million annually in separately earmarked funds to about 75 groups and individuals working to promote our goals