The managing editor will establish FWI, a new counter-Islamist outlet, working closely with the Middle East Forum's Islamist Watch team, and build it into a new hub for counter-Islamist news, research and analysis. He or she will edit and publish content, recruit writers, solicit submissions, and oversee a team of two investigative journalists.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Establish and build Focus on Western Islamism;
- Review, edit and publish articles and essays by counter-Islamist writers and researchers from around the globe;
- Manage the upkeep and content of the outlet's website;
- Solicit submissions and recruit new writers and researchers;
- Build close relationships with reformist Muslim activists and organizations.
- At least five years' experience as an editor and/or journalist;
- Agreement with MEF's outlook that 'radical Islam is the problem, moderate Islam is the solution';
- Proficiency with a website content management system and social media advertising;
- Knowledge of research tools and techniques.
Optional, but helpful
- Familiarity with database management;
- Understanding of modern Islamist movements in the West;
- Proficiency in any language spoken by large Muslim populations, especially Arabic or Urdu.
- Non-profit competitive
- 403(b) retirement plan offered
- Qualified and affordable group medical plans offered
- AFLAC offered
- Group life, short term, and long-term disability insurance offered
Prepare an application that includes:
- A cover letter indicating your interests, qualifications, experience, and goals
- A résumé or curriculum vitae
- Names of three references
When the application is completed:
Bundle the entire application as a single document, preferably in Adobe Acrobat (Word is also acceptable)
In the subject line, put your name in reverse order, without spacing, as in "ChurchillWinston", followed by "Application for Managing Editor"
Submit the application by close of business on January 21 to Thelma Prosser, Prosser@MEForum.org
About the Middle East Forum:
The Middle East Forum, a think & action tank, deals with the Middle East, Islamism, Muslims in the West, U.S. foreign policy, and related topics, urging bold measures to protect Americans and their allies. Founded in 1994, the Forum recurrently has policy ideas adopted by the U.S. government.
MEF pursues its goals in three ways:
- Intellectual, by providing information, context, and policy advice through publications, media appearances, lectures, and private consultations.
- Operational, by getting things done in Washington, on campus, in courts of law, and beyond.
- Philanthropic, by distributing about $2 million annually in separately earmarked funds to about 75 groups and individuals working to promote our goals.