The Middle East Forum, a think-tank based in Philadelphia, seeks to hire an assistant director for "Islamist Watch," its project that focuses on the ideas and institutions of non-violent, non-criminal Islamism (too often overlooked in prosecuting the "war on terror"), works to reduce their power, and also to strengthen moderate Muslims.
A full description of Islamist Watch can be read on its website.
- Research, write, and edit articles to combat the ideas and institutions that promote lawful Islamism in the United States and other Western countries.
- Represent Islamist Watch in the media and public speaking.
- Provide research support to other members of the MEF staff.
- Commission and supervise outside work, including both paid personnel and interns.
- Fundraise for Islamist Watch.
- Prepare regular progress reports.
- An M.A. in Middle East studies or equivalent job experience of the Middle East.
- An outlook consonant with that of the MEF: "The Middle East Forum works to define and promote American interests in the Middle East through research, publications, and educational outreach. It recommends a policy of fighting radical Islam (rather than terrorism), convincing the Palestinians that Israel is permanent, reducing funds going to the Middle East for energy purchases, better managing the democratization process, more robustly asserting U.S. interests vis-à-vis Saudi Arabia, and improving Middle East studies." For further information, visit www.meforum.org.
- A proven record of ability to write and speak publicly.
- Standard computer skills.
- An ability to take initiative, meet deadlines, show attention to details, and work on multiple projects simultaneously.
Location: The successful candidate is to work from the Forum's office in Philadelphia for a year and then may tele-commute via Internet connection.
Compensation is competitive.
To apply, send:
- Cover letter and resume.
- Brief writing samples.
- Names of three references.
Address: email@example.com, indicating in the subject line that you are applying for the Islamist Watch position.
Deadline: May 30, 2008