Job Opening: Development Director
September 15, 2004
The Middle East Forum, a Philadelphia-based nonprofit organization, seeks an experienced Development Director who will be responsible for organizing and implementing the Forum's fundraising activities.
Job description: The development director's responsibilities include:
- Planning and carrying out efforts to renew gifts from current donors;
- Identifying new prospects; planning and implementing efforts to cultivate and solicit them;
- Writing solicitation and acknowledgement letters;
- Preparing grant proposals;
- Soliciting current and prospective donors;
- Communicating with donors on a timely and regular basis;
- Planning and organizing fundraising events;
- Planning and organizing donor recognition events;
- Overseeing the Forum's membership program;
- Staffing the Director on his fundraising efforts, which includes arranging his travel plans, making solicitation appointments, and handling follow up efforts;
- Providing staff support to the Development Committee and working with other Board members to promote their active involvement in fundraising;
- Creating new fundraising vehicles, such as a planned giving campaign, endowment fund, and naming opportunities;
- Drafting reports, such as to foundations on projects they have funded and updates to the Board and Executive Committee;
- Maintaining the fundraising database;
- Supervising the Development staff;
- Preparing a budget for Development needs as part of the annual budget process; overseeing the implementation of that budget.
Workload: This is a full-time position based in Philadelphia. It requires at times out-of-hours work, on evenings and weekends, as well as some travel.
Experience: A minimum of five years of experience working as a development officer. Candidates should have a record of actively securing gifts from individual donors and foundations, as well as having worked effectively with staff and board members.
- Interest in and commitment to the work of the Middle East Forum;
- A self-starter;
- An ability to represent the MEF in speech and writing;
- A readiness to handle multiple tasks simultaneously;
- Promptness and attention to detail;
- Familiarity with computers and databases;
- Familiarity with preparing a budget;
- A Master's degree, though a Bachelors is acceptable.
Compensation: competitive, based on experience.
Employer: The Middle East Forum works to define and promote American interests in the Middle East through research, publications, and educational outreach. It holds that the United States has vital interests in the region; in particular, it believes that the United States should maintain strong ties with Israel, Turkey, and other democracies as they emerge. For further information about the Forum, please visit www.meforum.org.
Please send the following materials to email@example.com, indicating your interest in the development director position in the subject line, by Friday, October 10.
- Cover letter and resume.
- Writing samples, preferably correspondence connected to fundraising.
- Three references.
receive the latest by email: subscribe to the free mef mailing list
This text may be reposted or forwarded so long as it is presented as an integral whole with complete and accurate information provided about its author, date, place of publication, and original URL.