The Middle East Forum (MEF) seeks a full-time, resident Director of Development.
Reporting to and working in close collaboration with the Director, the Director of Development designs and executes a comprehensive development strategy. Supervising a staff of three, the Director of Development coordinates all fundraising including the major gifts, annual solicitations, foundations, planned giving, special events, and capital campaigns. This individual also oversees MEF's donor relationship management systems.
- Participate in developing the annual fundraising campaign, which includes identifying funding needs, targets, and approaches and setting the timetable;
- Develop plans to approach individuals, corporations, and foundations;
- Supervise the planning and execution of fundraising events;
- Manage and build the planned-giving program with a focus on deferred gifts such as bequest expectancies;
- Grow a major gifts program including identification, cultivation and solicitation of major donors.
- Identify and cultivate new donors;
- Respond to donor inquiries;
- Continuously meet with prospective and actual donors;
- Track solicitation efforts and regularly report to the Director about them;
- Oversee proposal writing and reports for grants;
- Supervise the scheduling of fundraising calls by the President and Director;
- Review and approve solicitation and thank-you letters and tax acknowledgment forms, ensuring these are sent in a timely fashion;
- Coordinate the production, review, and dissemination of development, communications, and marketing materials.
- Maintain gift recognition programs.
- Make public appearances/accept speaking engagements to explain MEF & build interest in it.
- Supervise the Development Associate, Development Assistant, and Events Director;
- Define goals, targets, and benchmarks and evaluate progress;
- Determine best practices, standard operating procedures, and workflows;
- Lead bi-weekly strategy sessions to gauge fundraising progress, explain new directives, and address feedback.
- Ensure the continuous updating of all data and distribution lists for print and electronic mailings;
- Review with the Controller the monthly reconciliation of MEF's finances;
- Ensure the integrity and security of all confidential information;
- Implement new technologies and new procedures as needed;
- Ensure the integration of the donor database with other communications, data tools, and programs.
- Five years of relevant experience to conceptualize and execute a $5-million annual fundraising campaigns.
- Proficiency with standard computer applications (Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Salesforce).
- Organized work habits and high motivation; ability to work under pressure in a fast-paced environment and under frequent deadlines; careful attention to detail.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Basic agreement with MEF's outlook. (Please see http://www.meforum.org.)
- The successful candidate works in the Forum's office in Center City, Philadelphia.
- This is a full-time, salaried position.
- Non-profit competitive.
Prepare an application that includes:
- A cover letter indicating your interests, qualifications, and goals.
- A résumé or curriculum vitae.
- Names of three references.
When the application is completed:
- Bundle the entire application as a single document, preferably in Adobe Acrobat (Word is also acceptable).
- Title it with your name in reverse order, without spacing, as in "ChurchillWinston."
- Submit the application online by clicking here by 5 p.m. EST on June 28, 2019.
About the Middle East Forum:
The Middle East Forum, founded in 1994 and headed by Daniel Pipes, is a research institute based in Philadelphia with an annual budget of $5 million; it promotes American interests in the Middle East and protects Western values from Middle Eastern threats. It accomplishes its mission in three ways:
- Intellectually, by providing information, context, original ideas, and policy advice;
- Operationally, by engaging in activism; and
- Philanthropically, by annually distributing $2 million of dedicated Education Fund monies to allies.