The Middle East Forum, a think-tank based in Philadelphia, seeks to hire a full-time director for Islamist Watch.
Islamist Watch focuses on a threat too often overlooked in fighting terrorism, the ideas and institutions of non-violent and non-criminal Islamism in the United States and other Western countries. The project also works to strengthen moderate Muslims.
For more information on Islamist Watch, please go to http://www.islamist-watch.org/about.php.
- Research into lawful Islamist activities.
- Write, commission, and edit articles, appear in the media, and give public talks.
- Engage in activism.
- Assist other members of the MEF staff.
- Supervise other Islamist Watch personnel (paid staff, interns, volunteers).
- Administer (e.g., prepare progress reports).
- An M.A. in Middle East studies or equivalent job experience.
- A proven public record of writing and speaking.
- An ability to take initiative, work cooperatively with colleagues, meet deadlines, show attention to detail, and work hard.
- An outlook consonant with that of the Middle East Forum: "Promoting American interests in the Middle East while protecting the Constitutional order from Middle Eastern threats."
- Standard computer skills.
Location: Work from the Forum's office in Philadelphia for at least one year; subsequently, telecommuting via the Internet is possible.
To apply: Please send to Personnel@MEForum.org, a cover letter, resume, brief writing sample, and names of references with contact information and combine them into a single Word document. The subject line should read "Application for Islamist Watch directorship."
Deadline: Friday, February 12, 2010, 5 p.m. EST.