The Middle East Forum, a think-tank based in Philadelphia, seeks to hire a full-time assistant director for "Islamist Watch."
Islamist Watch focuses on Islamists who work lawfully within the system in the West, and who therefore are too often overlooked in prosecuting the "war on terror." For a full description of Islamist Watch, see the Middle East Forum website.
- Work with Islamist Watch director Paul Belien to research, write, and edit articles to combat the ideas and institutions that promote lawful Islamism in the United States and other Western countries.
- Represent Islamist Watch in the media and public speaking.
- Liaise with government officials and others.
- Provide research support to other members of the MEF staff.
- Commission and supervise outside work, both paid and volunteer.
- Fundraise for Islamist Watch.
- Prepare regular progress reports.
- An M.A. in Middle East or Islamic studies; or equivalent job experience.
- Knowledge of radical Islam in the United States.
- An outlook consonant with that of the MEF: "The Middle East Forum works to define and promote American interests in the Middle East through research, publications, and educational outreach. It recommends a policy of fighting radical Islam (rather than terrorism), convincing the Palestinians that Israel is permanent, reducing funds going to the Middle East for energy purchases, better managing the democratization process, more robustly asserting U.S. interests vis-à-vis Saudi Arabia, and improving Middle East studies." For further information on the organization, please visit www.meforum.org.
- A proven ability to write and speak publicly.
- Standard computer skills.
- A willingness to take initiative, meet deadlines, show attention to details, and work on multiple projects simultaneously.
Location: The successful candidate is expected to work from the Forum's office in Philadelphia.
To apply, send:
- Cover letter explaining your interest and qualifications for the position.
- A brief, published writing sample.
- The names of three references.
Address: firstname.lastname@example.org, indicating in the subject line that you are applying for the Islamist Watch position.
Deadline: January 19, 2007