Job Announcement: Director of Development
January 15, 2016
The Middle East Forum (MEF) seeks a full-time, resident Director of Development.
Reporting to and working in close collaboration with the Director, the Director of Development will design and execute a comprehensive development strategy that enables MEF to carry out its mission and grow. Supervising a staff of three, the Director of Development also will oversee MEF's donor relationship management systems.
- Participate in developing the annual fundraising campaign, which includes identifying funding needs, targets, and approaches and setting the timetable;
- Supervise the planning of fundraising events;
- Participate in planned giving efforts in collaboration with the Director of Special Projects and the Director.
- Participate in identifying and cultivating new donors and responding to donor inquiries;
- Maintain, track, and report to the Director on solicitation efforts to individuals, corporations, and foundations;
- Supervise the scheduling of fundraising calls by the Director and President;
- Review and approve solicitation and thank you letters and tax acknowledgment forms and ensure these are sent in a timely fashion;
- Coordinate the production, review, and dissemination of development materials.
- Supervise the Development Associate, Executive Assistant, and Outreach Manager;
- Define goals, targets, and benchmarks and evaluate progress;
- Determine best practices, standard operating procedures, and workflows;
- Lead bi-weekly strategy sessions to gauge progress, explain new directives, and address feedback.
- Ensure the continuous updating of all data and distribution lists for print and electronic mailings;
- Review with the Controller the monthly reconciliation of MEF's finances;
- Ensure the data integrity and security of all confidential information;
- Ensure the implementation of new technologies and the development of new procedures as needed;
- Ensure the integration of the donor database with other communications, data tools, and programs.
- Bachelor's degree. Master's degree (or professional equivalent) preferred.
- At least five years of development and/or non-profit experience, including management experience.
- Proficiency with database and customer relationship management software (preferably Salesforce and ACT!).
- Experience in conceptualizing, creating, and managing $1+ million annual fundraising campaigns.
- Computer literacy and technological proficiency in standard word processing, spreadsheet, and presentation applications (Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint).
- Organized work habits and high motivation; ability to work under pressure in a fast-paced environment and under frequent deadlines; careful attention to detail.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Basic agreement with MEF's outlook. (Please see http://www.meforum.org.)
- The successful candidate will work in the Forum's office in Center City, Philadelphia.
- This is a full-time, salaried position.
Prepare an application that includes:
- A cover letter indicating your interests, qualifications, and goals.
- A résumé or curriculum vitae.
- Names of three references.
When the application is completed:
- Bundle the entire application as a single document, preferably in Adobe Acrobat (Word is also acceptable).
- Title it with your name in reverse order, without spacing, as in "ChurchillWinston."
- Submit the application online by clicking here by February 5, 2016, at 5 p.m. EST.
About the Middle East Forum:
The Middle East Forum, founded in 1994 and headed by Daniel Pipes, is a research institute based in Philadelphia with an annual budget of $4 million; it promotes American interests in the Middle East and protects Western values from Middle Eastern threats. It accomplishes its mission in three ways:
- Intellectually, by providing information, context, and policy advice through its publications, websites, and lectures;
- Operationally, by exerting direct influence through its projects (such as Islamist Watch), each addressing a specific problem; and
- Philanthropically, by annually distributing $2 million of dedicated Education Fund monies.
receive the latest by email: subscribe to the free mef mailing list